Book Title: Making Sense of Mathematics for Teaching High School (Understanding How to Use Functions)
Publisher: Solution Tree
Author: Edward C. Nolan
Develop a deep understanding of mathematics by grasping the context and purpose behind various strategies. This user-friendly resource presents high school teachers with a logical progression of pedagogical actions, classroom norms, and collaborative teacher team efforts to increase their knowledge and improve mathematics instruction. Explore strategies and techniques to effectively learn and teach significant mathematics concepts and provide all students with the precise, accurate information they need to achieve academic success. Combine their understanding of functions and algebraic concepts so they can better decipher the world.
- Explore how to develop, select, or modify mathematics tasks in order to balance cognitive demand and engage students.
- Discover the three important norms to uphold in all mathematics classrooms.
- Learn to apply the tasks, questioning, and evidence (TQE) process to grow as both learners and teachers of mathematics.
- Gain clarity about the most productive progression of mathematical teaching and learning for high school.
- Watch short videos that show what classrooms that are developing mathematical understanding should look like.
1. Equations and Functions
2. Structure of Equations
4. Types of Functions
5. Function Modeling
6. Statistics and Probability
Epilogue: Next Steps
Appendix: Weight Loss Study Data